Research activity started focusing on novel synthetic routes for aromatic and heterocyclic chemistry. Acquired expertise has been and still is exploited for synthesis and study of novel monomers and polymers from polycondensation (thermotropic LC polyesters, thiophene-based conjugated polymers), stereospecific polyaddition (substituted polyacetylenes, olefin copolymers) and radical processes (acrylate-based networks, inverse vulcanized systems). Major activity is devoted to formulation and development of new multicomponent polymer-based materials (blends, micro/nanocomposites) by melt blending. Processing, functionalization and surface modification are used to optimize performances and gain information on process-structure-morphology-properties correlations. Over years polymer materials have been developed for food packaging, up-cycling of agro-food wastes, automotive and shipbuilding, biomedicals, energy harvesting and storage, photonics (addressing safety, health, ecosustainability).
1989, Degree in Chemistry, Magna cum Laude. 1993, Ph.D. in Chemical Sciences. 1995-1997, Post-Doc, University of Genoa. 1998 to date, Researcher at CNR (IMAG to 2001, ISMAC to Sep. 2019, SCITEC to date). Mar. 2008 to date, Responsible for the Institute Genoa Section. 2009-2016, Member of the Council of ISMAC. 2011-2016, Executive Committee of the Italian Association of Science and Technology of Macromolecules (AIM). Experience abroad: May-Jun. 1997 and Apr.-May 1999, Polytechnic of Grenoble; Oct. 2005, University of Manchester; Jul. 2007 and Oct. 2012, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry.
- ‘Sulfur-based Polymers from Inverse Vulcanization as high refractive index materials for all-polymer planar phOTonic crystals’ - PIVOT (ID ROL 20583), Fondazione Compagnia di San Paolo, Coord. P. Stagnaro, 2018-2020.
- ‘Novel ecosustainable bioflocculants for water treatment’ – BioFloc (ISMAC RLOF18ASSRIC/78/1), POR-FSE Regione Liguria 2014-2020, Coord. P. Stagnaro, 2019-2021.
- ‘Developing and Implementing Sustainability-Based Solutions for Bio-Based Plastic Production and Use to Preserve Land and Sea Environmental Quality in Europe’ – BIO-PLASTICS EUROPE (nr. 860407), H2020-CP-IA-2017, Coord. W. Leal HAW Hamburg, Resp. RU SCITEC-CNR P. Stagnaro, 2019-2023.
- ‘Microwaves-assisted rotomoulding with paintable polyethylene’ – ROPEVEMI, MISE-ECSEL 2017, Coord. M.A. Colonna Romano Slide Srl, Resp. RU CNR P. Stagnaro, 2019-2022.
- ‘Lead-free piezoelectric and multiferroic flexible films for nanoelectronics, energy harvesting and energy storage’ (RS19MO01), Italian-Serbian Bilateral Agreement– MAECI, Coord. F. Craciun ISM-CNR, Participant, 2019-2021.
- ‘Plastic multiples for artistic design furnishings’ - ARRED’ARTE (ID 187022), POR-FESR Regione Lombardia 2014-2020, Coord. G. Colonnna Romano Slide Srl, Resp. UR P. Stagnaro, 2017-2019.
- ‘Engineered Polymeric composites with high energy density’ – POLYCOM (ID ROL 10359), Fondazione Compagnia di San Paolo, Coord. V. Buscaglia ICMATE-CNR, Resp. UR ISMAC-CNR, 2016-2018.
- ‘Valorization of ground tyre rubber (GTR) in thermoplastic polymer composites’, Research contract ISMAC-Idea Plast Srl, Resp. P. Stagnaro, 2017.
- ‘Development of the solid state welding process Friction Stir Welding (FSW) and the innovative hybrid FSW-bonding technique for the realization of heterogeneous aluminum-steel joints for naval applications’ - HYBRIDJOIN, POR-FESR Regione Liguria 2014-2020, Coord. S. Pinca Istituto Italiano della Saldatura IIS Srl, Resp. ISMAC-CNR, 2016-2018.
Polymer chemistry; Polymer crystallization and thermal behavior; Multicomponent polymeric materials; Melt blending and processing; Adhesion and morphology; Structure-properties correlations.
Organic reactivity; Polymer chemistry; Molecular, spectroscopic, thermal and morphological characterization of polymers and polymer based-materials; Surface modification; Reaction kinetics and mechanism; Melt blending and compounding.
GEMMALab: site under construction