Born in Parma on May 18, 1958, he graduated in Chemistry at the University of Parma on July 15, 1982, and he obtained his PhD in Chemical Sciences on October 31, 1987. Currently First Researcher at the CNR Institute of Chemical Sciences and Technologies (SCITEC), his research activity mainly concerns the stereospecific polymerization of vinyl monomers. He is the author of ca. 270 publications divided into papers in international scientific journals (n. 130), international patents (n. 40) and conference communications.
The research activity essentially concerns the following points:
- synthesis and characterization of transition metal (e.g., Ti, V, Cr, Fe and Co) and lanthanide (e.g., La, Pr, Gd and Nd) organometallic compounds, with well-defined structure, with different types of organic ligands containing P and / or N and / or O as donor atoms;
- use of the above complexes, in combination with suitable alkylating agents, for the preparation of highly active, selective and with living features catalytic systems for the synthesis of homopolymers and stereo-block copolymers from vinyl monomers (in particular conjugated diolefins, also of natural origin (e.g, terpenes));
- structural, morphological and rheological characterization of the obtained homo- and copolymers by various analytical techniques (FT-IR, NMR (1H, 13C and 2D), DSC, GPC, RX, AFM, DMA);
- evaluation of the properties of the obtained polymeric materials with a view to their possible use in the elastomeric and / or thermoplastic field.
Research contract SCITEC-Km Engineering entitled “Improvement of industrial catalysis based on cobalt chloride for the homo- and co-polymerization of conjugated diolefins, resp. Giovanni Ricci, coordinator, December 24, 2019 – December 23, 2020.
- ISMAC-Versalis research contract entitled “Polymerization of conjugated diolefins with catalytic systems based on lanthanides and transition metals”, resp. Giovanni Ricci, coordinator, November 2012 - November 2019
- Cariplo Foundation Project "Novel tubular norbornene homo- and copolymers with disyndiotactic sequences: structural and morphological modification for advanced applications" resp. Giovanni Ricci, operating unit resp., February 2010-January 2012
- Cariplo Foundation Project "Design of functionalized elastomeric matrix nanocomposites" resp. Giovanni Ricci, operating unit resp., September 2005 - August 2007
- ISMAC-Polimeri Europa research contract “Polymerization of conjugated diolefins with catalytic systems based on lanthanides and transition metals”, resp. Giovanni Ricci, coordinator, April 2002 - October 2012;
- ICM-ENICHEM Research Contract "Stereospecific polymerization of conjugated dienes with transition metal based catalysts", resp. Giovanni Ricci, coordinator, 1.1.2000 - 31.12.2001.
organometallic synthesis; polymerization catalysts; stereospecific polymerization; polydienes; polybutadiene; polymer characterization.
organometallic synthesis; polymerization catalysis; stereospecific polymerization; structural characterization of polymers; study of the polymerization mechanism.